The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, Valuation and Customer Relations department, has an excellent opportunity for four (4) Property Inspectors. Reporting to the Manager, Valuation and Customer Relations, the successful individual will collect information required for the accurate valuation of property, the creation of assessment products and in support of customer inquiries and feedback.
In this position, the successful candidate will:
• Physically inspect, measure and photograph structures and land, to update assessment records to the database;
• Use judgement in comparing some elements such as quality of construction, condition, etc. with other structures and properties, to determine accurate classification of properties and to identify other factors that may positively or negatively affect value;
• Retrieve information from other sources such as GIS maps, aerial photography, municipal building departments, construction site offices, architect plans, builder sales brochures where applicable;
• Calculate and update area measurements;
• Convert metric measurements to imperial measurements on plans;
• Maintain data and tracking documents on Data Tracking System (DTS);
• Communicate with property owners, agents, occupants, tenants, builders, and municipal staff in person, over the phone and through electronic means, in a manner that meets customer service standard and protocols;
• Consult Manager for technical advice on unresolved or non-routine problems;
• Review sales documents, visit the property and/or discuss with owners and agents, to determine the nature of transaction, at-time-of sale property information and coding as to suitability for sales analysis purposes based on MPAC guidelines;
• Visit properties and record details of construction, property and neighbourhood characteristics, ownership and occupancy information; and update records necessary to determine accurate values and effective date and produce related products, severances and consolidations, process supplementary and omitted assessments, and calculate apportionments;
• Visit properties to confirm the accuracy of property assessment data and noting changes; and gather and update information in support of inquiries, appeals, request for reconsiderations, municipal tax applications and vacancy allowances;
• Process senior and disabled exemption applications and ensure accuracy of information and confirm eligibility of the exemption;
• Conduct process controls on both data and supplementary and omitted value calculations; and
• Assist in special projects in support of the assessment function as assigned.
• Frequent travel, including remote areas with overnight stays.
Location: Assessment Office #32 Thunder Bay, Ontario
• Completion of a relevant college/university program is an asset;
• Completion or working towards the completion of certification in an assessment or valuation program such as IMA, AIC, IAAO or RICS is an asset;
• Demonstrated experience and/or training in the property assessment environment or a related field;
• Ability to understand relevant sections of the Assessment Act and the tax adjustment provisions of the Municipal Act;
• Knowledge of the basic principles of the cost and comparative sales approach to valuation and full understanding of PAC codes for all property types;
• Ability to effectively use automated property assessment data systems (i.e. IPS, GIS, AreaSketch, AIM);
• Experience with personal computers, mobile technology devices and a variety of software products such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases and statistical applications (e.g. SPSS);
• Ability to read and understand legal documents and interpret surveys, subdivision plans, architect and builder plans;
• Ability to perform arithmetic calculations;
• Effective and customer service skills; and good verbal and written communication skills; and
• A valid driver’s licence is required.
AREA OF SEARCH: Open
To apply, please click on the URL link provided followed by the “Apply Online” icon once within the job posting. Please use the Applicant Tracking System to create your Candidate Profile, upload your Resume and Cover Letter and apply to the posting by April 6, 2016. Please note, only applications submitted through the Applicant Tracking System will be accepted.
While MPAC thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent MPAC employees may be required to undergo a criminal and drivers abstract check.